Jack Hodgson Memorial Page

Former scout leader and well-known businessman Jack Hodgson died at Scarborough Hospital on 25 August following the sudden deterioration of his health.

He was 84 and leaves behind his wife of 58 years, Lola, their three children and six grandchildren, together with his brother and sister.

Jack, of Rosemount Road, moved to Whitby as a schoolboy.

In 1938 he was involved in the rescue from the Dock End harbour of a young man who had fallen into the water – an event recorded in the Whitby Gazette.

He served in World War Two as a radio operator in the merchant navy, participated in Navy convoys of supplies across the Atlantic from Canada to Britain and Russia plus also at times down the African coast.

After the war, Jack returned to Whitby to join up with his brother, sister and brother-in-law in the running of the family business F Hoggarth on behalf of their mother who had inherited the soft drinks manufacturing and wine merchant’s business from her brother.

They continued working for the family business until their retirement in 1986.

In his retirement, Jack was a partner with his son Rod and daughter-in-law Jill, plus his wife Lola in the Stakesby Manor Hotel.

In the 1950s and 1960s Jack was a bell ringer at St Mary’s Parish Church.

He was a member of the Hawsker Friendly Society from 1952 and was its secretary from 1956-2002.

He was very well-known and respected in the scouting movement, being a member most of his life. He joined as a youngster in 1931 and went on to become a Scout leader with 1st Ruswarp Sea Scouts.

In 1963 Jack became the District Commissioner after the death of Frank Kendell the previous District Commissioner, a position he held for more than 20 years.

He was awarded the Scout Association’s Silver Wolf Service Award in 1987 – the highest award in the movement. His years after retirement were spent supporting the Eskmouth Scout Group in different leadership roles.

While in partnership at the Stakesby Manor Hotel, he became a member of the Business Development Association, helping start up businesses in the Whitby district with advice and support.

Jack was a founder member of Whitby Rifle Club and the Whitby Onion Growers’ Society in which he was still active.

He was a member of Whitby Conservative Club from 1952 onwards. In the 50s and early 60s he was part of the St John Ambulance Brigade.

His son Frank Hodgson said: “My father had a major input into many young people’s lives in Whitby over the years.

“He was instrumental as District Commissioner in the 2nd Whitby Troop, establishing a new HQ in the a playing field off Helredale Road in the late 50s.

“He was also instrumental in establishing and consolidating scouting in Whitby with the formation of the Eskmouth Group, amalgamating existing scout groups in the town.”

Leave a Reply